Globetrotting with a baby, or living between three countries when you have a newborn baby sounds like a difficult job – but it doesn’t have to be. With the right amount of research, travel-light equipment and advance planning it can all be accomplished with ease.
Having travelled with an 9 week old baby to Romania from the UK, and to the USA at 6 months old, as well as being a big city traveller I am letting you know how I managed to keep it all light, airy and somewhat stress free.
- The key to travel light, is to eliminate the car-seat and the stroller, so I have armed myself with the one that does both. The Doona Car Seat.
- Get a KOO-DI lightweight baby crib that can be used anywhere, on any surface and even on a beach in the sun.
- If you insist on taking a stroller, then look no further than the highly compact Babyzen Yoyo or Babyzen Zen, who both can be packed into cabin-sized travel bags.
- A lightweight back-pack nappy bag that doubles up as a bag for mom. I will be very subjective here, but my favourite is the trendy Chelsea Backpack from SkipHop. Why not combine style with utility, and make sure you can hold it even when you have no arms available.
- The Stokke foldable bath tub, because hygiene is important and you need it to fit inside your own suitcase.
Believe it or not – that’s it! Those are all the major items you need (of course diapers/nappies, formula & bottles, and baby clothes will be packed in either your own suitcase or the backpack – depending on the length of your travel.